30 October 2009

Celebrating Halloween

Halloween–October 31, eve of All Saints’ Day (Christian); there are also roots in the Celtic tradition–is a very interesting day. Some call it a tradition, and others call it a holiday. This may just be a play on words; either way, Halloween is acknowledged every year in a big way.

As a child, I used to enjoy picking out or putting together a costume to wear and go trick-or-treating with my sister and friends. Also, during the month of October there was usually a fair in town with a haunted house included. Even though sometimes I was scared, I still felt excitement from the experience. Then there was the pumpkin exercise. I liked carving the jack-o-lantern and baking the seeds.

Now as an adult, I appreciate candy being on sale in October and greet the trick-or-treaters who stop by my home. I think this is harmless fun, and notice most people seem to embrace this tradition. Happy Halloween on October 31st and have a joyful All Saints’ Day on November 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Novel: THE TWO SISTERS

My new novel, THE TWO SISTERS, is available for purchase:  The Two Sisters by Terri Dawn Arnold . The story has crime, drama, and mystery. L...