26 January 2009

High Tension and You Better Watch Out

I have watched some horror movies on FearNet recently. For the record, I like horror, not “gorer.” I prefer films that offer suspense, as Alfred Hitchcock accomplished so well. And as a friend of mine has said, “horror is whatever makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.”

One of the movies I watched that absolutely terrified me was HIGH TENSION. Oh my goodness! It certainly provided high tension. I was petrified as an insane man entered a farm house killing each member of an unsuspecting family. However, for some reason he did not kill the daughter, and her college friend, who is visiting, manages to hide from him. It was frightening seeing him drive away in his truck with the daughter and her friend, who willingly got in the back of his truck without him knowing it. She did not want to separate from her friend. The ending was definitely unexpected, and is a bit disturbing, but I would recommend HIGH TENSION to horror fans. There was graphic violence, but the story kept my interest so I sat through it. For more about this movie, visit the official site: http://www.hightensionmovie.com/.

Another movie I watched was YOU BETTER WATCH OUT, also known as, CHRISTMAS EVIL. This independent movie was released in 1980, and is a psychological thriller about a man who is obsessed with Christmas and being Santa Claus. Apparently this movie was popular at Drive In movie theatres. I liked it because I actually laughed at some things, that were probably supposed to be taken seriously, but it was hilarious seeing this grown man have Christmas decorations up (probably year-round), take special care in sewing his Santa suit, drive a van with a sleigh painted on the side and while driving it he shouted, “Go Rudolph, Prancer, Comet,” etc., and to top it off, work at a toy factory. He killed a few people and decided which kids had been naughty or nice. He did not kill any children. Instead he gave them presents. But when adults made him angry, he killed them. This might sound crazy to you, but it was a fun movie to watch, and apparently is a cult classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Novel: THE TWO SISTERS

My new novel, THE TWO SISTERS, is available for purchase:  The Two Sisters by Terri Dawn Arnold . The story has crime, drama, and mystery. L...